[colug-432] Regex

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun May 17 17:53:43 EDT 2015

> > > To get good answers, consider following the advice in the links below.
>
> > I'll check 'em out.
>
> Good. It's work to follow the advice. It boils down to:
>
>     To get a good answer, ask a good question.

Asking good questions is important, but it is unfair to put all the burden on someone just learning a new and complicated thing to compose their questions well, every time.

> The more effort you put into asking a good question,
> the more effort others will put into giving you a good answer.

I counter with this:
https://skippy.net/how-to-answer-questions

If we want people to keep using Linux, we need to be welcoming and invest as much or more energy in providing useful answers as the questioner did in asking.

Jim's little challenges are great to someone eager to learn and curious about the why, in addition to the how.

Its been clear that Steve is eager to learn, in general, which is great. Sometimes, though, someone has a task they just want to complete; we need to be careful not to ignore these people just because they didn't frame their question "just right", or exhibit any curiosity.

Cheers,
Scott

PS: the complaints about documentation are spot on, and generally well known. Alas, few people really tackle the problem at the source. For anyone creating or contributing to open source today, I encourage you to read this:
http://opensource.com/business/15/5/write-better-docs