[colug-432] Rant About sed, Regex and the Web

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Mon May 18 09:02:11 EDT 2015

On 05/17/2015 01:45 PM, Steve Roggenkamp wrote:
[...]
> Of course I could take the conspiracy theory approach and say it's a
> revenue optimization effort by Google, Yahoo and Microsoft to maximize the
> number of searches per line of code.  Before Google came on line,
> everything was well documented, organized, and indexed, so one could find
> answers very quickly.
[...]

<rant>

This simply isn't true.

Consider the number of projects and numbers of lines of code that existed
prior to the rise of search engines.

There were fewer projects, ORDERS of magnitude less code, much less
organization behind open source projects.  Less collaboration and, frankly,
much less functionality than is available today.

Google and other search engines have made it easier, but so has improving
overall quality.

</rant>

--
William Yang