[colug-432] nc replacement in RHEL7?

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:53:58 EDT 2015

RHEL 7 changed a bunch of stuff.  One of the more annoying things is what the nmap folks did to nc.  It no longer functions as a connectivity testing tool, ala

   nc -zv somehost 80

The supposed justification for stripping -z from the nmap people is that -z replicates functionality in nmap.  Problem is sites don't want nmap installed because it is a "security risk".  Telnet is a lousy (and anti-scriptable) way to see if tcp traffic between two hosts is possible.

Other than rolling your own C app (which I did) and dropping it somewhere, are there any easy/accessible replacements for nc -z?  By easy, I mean not writing a mini perl script, and by accessible I mean maybe something that's already part of or installable from the RHEL repo.  Basically, I want the old nc (or some equivalent) back.

thanks!

Sent from my iPad