[colug-432] Lazer Printer

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:19:05 EST 2015

> On Nov 7, 2015, at 18:58, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any recommendations for monochrome, lazer printer for printing letter
> size. I saw a HP one at Amazon:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Monochrome-CE658A-BGJ/dp/B00847UWUE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446943241&sr=8-3&keywords=Hp+Laser+Printers.
>
> My neighbor needs to print a lot of letter letter size.

Depending on the volume, it might be cheaper to make fewer prints at home and have Kinkos do the duplication/volume work.  Depending on how much printing, keep an eye on the PPM (pages per minute) count.

Also, don’t be shocked when replacement toner cartridges cost nearly as much as the printer itself.  I have an HP color laser, which ran around $600 for the printer.  A full set of 4 replacement cartridges runs right around $600.

The printer you mentioned takes type 85A cartridges: http://www.amazon.com/HP-CE285D-Black-Original-Cartridges/dp/B006588NGY/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1446945078&sr=1-1&keywords=HP+85A (this is 2x, so ~$45/each for this model.)

> Wireless would
> be good. I lean towards HP as my Ancient HP lazerJet 1100 is still
> tooling along quite nicely.

HP might make worthless junk in other areas, but their printers are solid and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend an HP printer.

You don’t necessarily need to spend big extra money for a printer that comes with wireless.  There are plenty of products that turn your USB-only or ethernet-only printer into wireless.  Do some cost comparison.

> While I am at it I notice there is a
> centronics/USB device that can connect my LazerJet to my laptops USB
> ports. Is there a device I could use to connect to that printer
> wirelessly? No USB on it.

No USB? Then how is it connected to your computer?  Parallel?

The problem I think would be power.  USB can supply power to a wireless chipset, but parallel cannot (maybe?).

Try something like this perhaps? goo.gl/mNvXiH <http://goo.gl/mNvXiH>