[colug-432] Gigabit Hubs (Not Switches)

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 22:17:36 EST 2015

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:58:42 -0500 (EST), R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:59:24 -0500 (EST), R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd reduce the diagnostic setup to:
> > > 	host -- cable -- hub -- cable -- host
> > >
> > > and 'sniff' on the hub.
> >
> > Are you deliberately avoiding a switch in the above?
>
> yes -- a [switch] (a good switch) will limit what traffic it
> exposes to non-relevant destination ports

I stock both 10 Mbit/s and 100 Mbit/s hubs for such,
which have sufficed for all my needs.

Wondering about the future,
I looked for gigabit hubs without much success.

The work around I think of for that would be
to set up a computer with at least two gigabit ethernet ports
as a gigabit hub with ebtables.
That reminds me of someone's dream laptop.
One could also run tcpdump/wireshark on such a "hub".

Are there gigabit hubs? If not, are there special gigabit
switches that would copy all packets to some special
sniffing port?