[colug-432] sadly, my 2012 vintage HP laptop was offered as a sacrifice

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Oct 6 12:38:23 EDT 2015

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, William Yang wrote:

> All joking aside, I think the Lenovo W541 does 1, 2, 3 and a; 'b' sounds
> like a job for a USB dongle to me.  Don't know how well put together they
> are, though.

Amazon warehouse has one for a shade under $ 1400 -- plus:
$103.49 estimated tax ;)

I have used USB ethernet dongles in the past under 2.4 series
kernel, so that is certainly a viable approach.  I have a fine
assortment of such dongles ;)  One problem seemed to be that
throughput across the intervening USB layer (and I2S layer)
put a 'cap' on transfer rates.  I'll need to explore the
current state of dongles and USB3 readiness to see what
current kit will do

Thank you, Bill

-- Russ herrold