[colug-432] sadly, my 2012 vintage HP laptop was offered as a sacrifice

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Tue Oct 6 14:57:37 EDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 13:29 -0500, Tom wrote:
> They are nice, but those very slim laptops are very fragile. I used to
> reman laptops at Dell when the ultra thin stuff began to show up. They
> are extremely hard to repair. I had to completely tear them down, even
> remove the mobo just to replace the optical drive. Don't know if that
> XPS has one, but I am very skeptical about their ruggedness. I use an
> old Dell Inspiron 1520. It's rugged enough for most use. Easy to tear
> down, etc.

Yes the ultrabooks are definitely slimmer which translates into less
rugged than traditional laptops.  They are targeting the Apple Air so my
hope is build quality is top notch.  I'm not particularly rough on
portable electronics but Russ's experience traveling does cause me to
think about others who might come in contact with it.

Another one I just read about was the Lenovo X1 Carbon, which is passes
a number of MIL-STD-810G tests though I haven't seen any details.  Still
in the ultrabook class so it doesn't meet Russ's needs.

-Chris