[colug-432] virtual hosts based on ip

Rob Stampfli rob944 at cboh.org
Wed Oct 14 12:57:57 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 09:12:01AM -0500, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> > On Oct 14, 2015, at 08:11, Keith Larson <klarson at k12group.net> wrote:
> > i also don't want customer A to be able to see customer B's version or even know that it exists.
>
> This is going to seem harsh, but my suggestion comes from experience.  I've begged clients not to go down this road because it inevitably comes back to bite them, and usually me as well.
> > is it possible to present a different instance of a page based on the source ip address?

Another consideration, although this most likely will not be
something that you'd care about in this situation, is that
Google (and probably other search engines) will delist you
if they catch you doing this.  (I'm not sure whether the ban
is based on the IP address or the domainname of the chameleon
server.)

Rob