[colug-432] IPv6 adventures

William Hooper whooperhsd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:28:15 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:
[snip]

> My home machines seem to
> be slowly accumulating more global-scope IPv6 addresses on the network
> that Time-Warner assigned. They started with two (one based on the MAC
> address and one seemingly random), but now they have four and five
> addresses.
>
> Anyone know what's up with that? Something weird with dhcp6?

My guess would be the IPv6 privacy extension:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4941 .  As I understand it there was a
concern with addresses based on MAC address that the MAC portion would be
unique to the NIC even on different networks.  The RFC's approach is to
periodically generate a new IPv6 address and use it for communication.  I
believe you can use sysctl to control it.

--
William Hooper