[colug-432] RHEL Satellite v5 api user privileges

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:53:33 EDT 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 12:36, Scott McCarty <scott.mccarty at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You are not missing anything. I have seen this before with other automation I have done. Pretty much anything useful needs a power user. The API is old and just not that soohisticated from an RBAC perspective (Sat6 is much more sophisticated).
>
> Long story short, I have historically kept scripts as root only, directly on the Satellite box..

Thanks, that helps.  We'll be moving to Satellite 6 at some point here, but we're not there yet.  Hopefully the access controls are better, but (that aside) the API stays this easy to use.

Seriously - it's basically two lines in perl or ruby - call auth.login to get a session key, and call system.getId to get a list of hosts.  It can't get much easier.  Despite the scary sounding name XMLRPC, the rest of the API looks basically just as easy.