[colug-432] Memorizing Unique Passwords

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 10 12:32:34 EDT 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:40:14 -0500, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... a massive risk reduction is achieved by not using the same
> password for multiple sites.  One massively complex password
> used everywhere isn't good enough.  Remembering lots of
> passwords is impossible.  Tools like 1Password (my personal
> choice), LastPass, KeePass, etc help fill this gap and can
> generate+store unique, difficult passwords for you.

What do you think of the following technique?
I've not had time to think hard about it.
Peer review about this kind of stuff is always needed.

Sick of memorizing passwords?
A Turing Award winner came up with this algorithmic trick
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978316/security/tired-of-memorizing-passwords-a-turing-award-winner-came-up-with-this-algorithmic-trick.html