[colug-432] Memorizing Unique Passwords

Dan Kaiser dank2878 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:59:24 EDT 2015

The Turing version is more robust, but I've been doing something similar
for years.  I think I picked it up from a Lifehacker book initially.

The password prefix is a word or phrase that means something to you.
Transform it by selecting keys nearby.  Say you play a lot of poker and you
choose "ace", and select keys to the right.  The password prefix here is
now "svr"

Insert a number of your choosing.  Our poker player friend likes 21, so the
password is now "svr21"

Then the suffix of the password relates directly to the site or software in
question.  For example, the last three letters of the domain, but choosing
keys to the upper left.  If he is logging onto Amazon to buy a book on
counting cards is password becomes "svr21a9h"

There.  Unique password for each need.  The first portion of the password
stays static, so I change it every so often.  I also use LastPass to track
all of this, but in most cases I can "guess" my own password because I know
my algorithms.

-Dan

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a
habit." - Aristotle