[colug-432] A Perplexing Problem

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 19 11:43:36 EDT 2016

I have a rather perplexing problem.

My main Linux computer is a two year old (at least the most recent upgrade)
3.5GHz AMD 64 bit octa-core CPU.

Due to a rather catastrophic failure I have just upgraded the OS from Debian
v-7.2 to Debian v-8.4.0.  I downloaded the DVD-1 and the checksum was
correct.  When I burned it to a DVD here were no problems.  Nor, were there
any problems with the installation.

However, several of the applications that I use on rather a daily basis are
acting rather strangely. A case in point is Avogadro, which happens to be a
part of the distribution and therefore I didn't have to compile the source
code.  It installed without any warnings or errors.  When I run the
application the graphic window is corrupted!   This is also the case with
another application, VMD, that I downloaded and installed.  Both application
worked without any problems in the previous Debian OS.

There are other applications that I run, both in gui's and terminals that
continue to run flawlessly in the new OS.

Now, if that isn't confusing enough, I tried something else.  I installed
the Linux VMWare Workstation 12 Player and installed the same Debian 8.4.0
in that.  And .  .   . the display problem no longer exists!

Obviously, I don't want to have to run the native Linux Distribution in an
VM, but I don't have the faintest clue as to what is going on, nor any
inkling how to fix the problem.

Although I have been a computer user since 1960's I am an Organic Chemist
and neither a hardware or software person.

I would really be most appreciative of any assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.               Life is a fuzzy set

www.molecular-modeling.net     Stochastic and Multivariate

s.molnar at sbcglobal.net

(614)312-7528(c)

Skype:  smolnar1