[colug-432] A Perplexing Problem

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 13:07:11 EDT 2016

I have to admit to being really dangerous.

First I followed NVIDIA's suggestion and installed
https://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit.
That did not solve the display problem.

Then I followed the steps in
https://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit.
This failed because the card is too old and no longer supported.

However when I run nvidia-settings I get:

root at AbNormal:/home/comp# nvidia-settings

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file. This file should
        have been installed along with this driver at
        /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The
        application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be
        preopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text.
        Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.

This opened the NVIDIA X Server Settings window, but when I tried to select an option I get the meassage

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig'
  as root), and restart the X server."  Unfortunately, that file wasn't fond as there were installation errors.

Now, of course, even those apps that didn't have graphic problems do.

On 04/20/2016 06:18 AM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> Yhanks for the re[;y.
>
> I think result from the first query is important:
>
> comp at AbNormal:~$ lspci | egrep -i nv\|nouveau\|vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G72 [GeForce
> 7300 LE] (rev a1)
>
> The other two queries also gave results, but the last one was rather
> lengthy.  I've attached a file with the listing.
>
> On 04/19/2016 05:30 PM, Rob Funk wrote:
>> lspci | egrep -i nv\|nouveau\|vga

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.	Life is a fuzzy set
www.Molecular-Modeling.net	Stochastic and multivariate
(614)312-7528 (c)
Skype:  smolnar1