[colug-432] unix monitoring

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Mon Feb 29 14:54:57 EST 2016

On 02/24/2016 06:14 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> What are you guys running?  It feels like there must be more options out there that we're not aware of.

We're currently evaluating Bosun (http://bosun.org/) for a project
here.  It's developed by StackExchange.  So far I'm quite impressed for
such a young project.

* Written in go so single binary.
* Text config so you can version control it.
* Backed by time series database (OpenTSDB).
* Monitoring IDE - you can draft alerts and see how they'd react against
your historical data.
* Expressive DSL.

Only piece I'm not crazy about is OpenTSDB.  I'd much rather use
InfluxDB, which they have some basic support for, but it isn't a first
class citizen yet.

-Chris