[colug-432] IPv6: 20 years old, 10% deployed

Chris Anderson canderson at foxtwo.net
Mon Jan 4 12:34:07 EST 2016

I've never really liked using tunnels either, as they seem to be a bit of a
temporary bandaid-fix. I prefer a dual IPv4/IPv6 stack until IPv4 goes
away. I don't really have a good reason beyond the "ick" feeling of adding
yet another layer.

Time Warner Cable provides IPv6 to me, but I haven't used it beyond some
testing due to the way they do Prefix Delegation.

You get one IPv6 address assigned to the physical device that is connected
(such as a router), and your equipment needs to do a Prefix Delegation
request via DHCPv6 to get your very own /64. That's great, except it seems
that TWC will delegate a brand new /64 *every* time. So any power cycles or
expiration of the delegated subnet results in a brand new /64.

You might be seeing something similar with your connection. It would be
nice if they handled the Prefix Delegation more like the address leases.