[colug-432] Troubleshooting Suggestions: File Truncation Issue

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 23:51:36 EST 2016

> On Jan 9, 2016, at 22:13, William E. T. <linux.hacker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> At work, I rebooted the servers for one tier of an application after which we started seeing errors.

I read your post a couple of times, and you give a pretty thorough description of what happens and some things you've tried.  But your narrative is a little confusing and so I'm not clear where you're pointing to a bug/error?

> Based on a trace file(1), the vendor is sayings its a problem with the OS. They found where the applications:
>
> 1.   Opens a new file
> 2.  Writes to the file
> 3.  Closes the file
> 4.  Creates a link to its real name

What do you mean by link and "its real name"?  A symlink? Is it a hard or a soft link?

> 5.  Removes the original file
> 6.  stats the file to find a zero size

"They found..."? Is the above the expected behavior?  What vendor?  The software provider?

> We would expect the file to have varying sizes based upon the data that was written to it.

This is where I got really confused.  Do you mean that after those 6 steps you expect to find a file with content of varying size?