[colug-432] My ipv6 configuration using systemd-networkd

Zach Villers zachvatwork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 17:01:03 EST 2016

Just wanted to share - feedback welcome;

My workstation is Fedora 23. I have TWC with one of the hybrid
phone/routers for data. I have placed the ports on this router in bridge
mode and use OpenWrt on a device that I purchased for wifi/ethernet. I
work/play with VMs alot and it's easier to test web services if the VM
isn't NAT'd. For my set up, I configured the ethernet port on my machine
using systemd-networkd to implement a bridge.

I know some of you probably aren't enthused about systemd, but I
recently passed the RHCSA on RHEL 7, so I just got used to it.

If you aren't familiar with systemd-networkd, I used these steps to get
started; https://major.io/2015/03/26/creating-a-bridge-for-virtual-machines-using-systemd-networkd/

Here are my three files in /etc/systemd/network. {with some changes the
dev/ips, etc}

file - eth0.network

 [Match]
 Name=eth*

 [Network]
 Bridge=br0

file - br0.netdev

 [NetDev]
 Name=br0
 Kind=bridge

file - br0.network

 [Match]
 Name=br0

 [Network]
 DNS=8.8.8.8
 Address=192.168.100.100/24
 Gateway=192.168.100.1
 DHCP=ipv6
 IPv6PrivacyExtensions=yes
 DNS=2620:0:ccc::2
 DNS=2620:0:ccd::2

## FYI the first DNS is obv google. The second two might be google or
opendns, not sure, meant to change those.

### Remember to follow the instructions in the article I linked
regarding systemd-resolved.

HTH and thanks for reading.
-Zach