[colug-432] Cloud-based nested virtualization or other "wrapping" alternatives

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Jun 21 11:51:51 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:41:50AM -0400, Jeff Frontz wrote:
>    My thought is to run the legacy distribution on a VM (say, under kvm)
>    inside another instance of a more modern distribution -- using the
>    encapsulating host's security to protect the legacy instance from the
>    outside world.  The only access to the legacy instance would be from the
>    modern instance (an encapsulating bastion host, if you will).

I have had good success with running Docker on Linode.  I am not running
old distros, but I did have an interest in limiting the damage should a
particular service be compromised.  I didn't want to worry about
managing a bunch of servers (especially since they are $20/month each
and the services I am hosting are low traffic), so I containerized the
services (HTTP, SMTP, IMAP, etc.) to keep everything nice and tidy.  I
believe that you can run docker on the VMs you get from just about any
cloud provider nowadays.

Regards,

-Roberto

--