[colug-432] Cloud-based nested virtualization or other "wrapping" alternatives

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Jun 21 12:34:00 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:19:42PM -0400, Jeff Frontz wrote:
>    On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez
>    <[1]roberto at connexer.com> wrote:
>
>      I have had good success with running Docker on Linode.
>
>    Thanks for the tip -- I was under the impression that Docker (and
>    containers in general) were aimed at encapsulating a deployment
>    environment.  Can you effectively use it as an interactive development
>    environment (i.e., run an entire distribution -- legacy/native SDK,
>    independent UID/GID space, independent socket address space, browsers, X
>    server/client instances, use gdb to connect/disconnect to various
>    processes in a multi-process application, etc. -- at near-bare-metal
>    speed)?

I believe that the short answer is "yes," though there is no standard
way of doing so.  Here are some possibilities:

https://blog.docker.com/2013/07/docker-desktop-your-desktop-over-ssh-running-inside-of-a-docker-container/
http://fabiorehm.com/blog/2014/09/11/running-gui-apps-with-docker/
http://wiki.ros.org/docker/Tutorials/GUI

Regards,