[colug-432] Cloud-based nested virtualization or other "wrapping" alternatives

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 12:41:49 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, R P Herrold wrote:
>
> > but ... I think you re overthinking this ... why not use a
> > tool such as 'mock' to build inside a chroot running the older
> > version?
>
> I see by your later post that you anticipate needing to test
> within a richer environment than just a build space.

Yes, I want to be "immersed" in the target environment -- using native
versions of applications for the actual development environment, testing,
etc.; having "man" pages show the right thing for that version; allowing
multiple users to be in the same space at the same time (for group
debugging, etc.); have ports and other kernel resources disjoint from the
host; run legacy versions of services/daemons; etc.