[colug-432] Cloud-based nested virtualization or other "wrapping" alternatives

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:42:08 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> running a child container within a parent container
> under Libvirt is relatiely recent (last year or two).

So, I'm not hip to all the lingo, but I think I've figured out that
"containers" (including Docker?)  use the same base kernel as the host
(vs., say, UML -- where the kernel that the nested environment runs in/on
is independent of the hosting kernel).  I need to run the environment on
the legacy kernel that was part of (or, rather, directly based on that of)
the legacy distribution -- not only to ensure that the development/testing
environment is as similar as possible to the target deployment environment
(an embedded system), but also because I've found that legacy distribution
doesn't play well with the newer kernels (especially the 64-bit ones).