[colug-432] Cloud-based nested virtualization or other "wrapping" alternatives

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Wed Jun 22 00:17:18 EDT 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Tom Hanlon wrote:

> No.. Openstack is more like an open source EC2, AMI situation.
> See here for available images, and of course you can build your own.
> http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/
>
> So you can launch debian, redhat, windows etc.
>
> I believe it has begun to add features to control deploy and manage containers. Containers
> however were not the original focus. An open source competitor to AWS is probably an accurate
> description of the project.

The more variation there is between the development (user space) bits inside the container and
the host layer (kernel space) bits it is running on, then the more you have to carry around
in the container.

Remember that OpenStack was originally built by RackSpace and NASA to counter AWS.
Naturally, in fine NIVH fashion, the OpenStack community wrote another configuration
management tool (Heat) rather than using cfengine, Puppet or Chef (don't think Salt was
around yet).  Now it is starting to look like the tool of choice is none of the above, but
rather Ansible (and I'm not saying that just because RHT owns it now).  It seems to be
gaining quite a following in the OpenStack space.

McCarty must be heads down getting ready for Red Hat Summit as I would have expected him to
chime in on this.