[colug-432] Unfotunate Incomplete Projects

michael at yanovich.net michael at yanovich.net
Thu May 12 11:29:45 EDT 2016

On 05/12/2016 11:18 AM, Rob Funk wrote:
> Jacob Ulrich wrote:
>> > Thanks for the speedy replies. What if there truly is no alternative
>> > though? In my situation I really don't think there is. What would you do
>> > if it's a specific project you want to see complete for personal
>> > reasons?
> Personally, I'd pull down the code, grab a book about the unfamiliar
> language/framework, and start learning how to make the changes I want
> to see. It may take a while, but it's the best hope of seeing those
> changes happen, as well as a great way to gain new skills.

That's pretty much how I got involved with Python. I was part of the Open
Source Club at OSU and we started an IRC channel at the time and everybody
was bringing in random annoying bots for cute little features. (Like googling
things, looking stuff up on Wikipedia, and random little IRC games.) I got
hooked on one Python IRC bot and I spent countless hours pumping out goofy
and stupid code.

It's a valuable skill that I've been able to improve upon and it has helped
me in my career path.

So, I'd recommend what Rob said if you can spare the time. +1 (and it might
help you with future projects or even career wise too!)