[colug-432] job search

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Tue May 17 20:33:06 EDT 2016

I can't count the number of people I've tried to talk off the ledge
about an otherwise fabulous job that wouldn't give them a <insert
current in vogue technology here>.  I've had people tell me they were
going to pass on a six figure income over a $1k laptop or lack of
multiple monitors or because the company didn't pay for home
internet/cell phone (especially since they weren't required for the
job).  I've always been able to find a way to make things work for me.

Think about how you react to people who want to go off the rails and do
something against the standards that you've brought about/developed/put
in place/whatever.  As an admin, image how you'd feel if every project
came along and wanted to use their own OS (RHEL, SuSE, OpenSolaris,
FreeBSD) and how difficult it would be for you to have to manage all
that.  Imagine as a developer, that you've put together your tool stack
and someone wanted to throw in their own language.  Most of us would go
absolutely bonkers fighting them about following the standards to reduce
workload, complexity, risk, and improve service, etc.

Then, be rational and look at what tools you can use that might still
fit in with the majority of your desires.  At my current job, laptops
run Windows and Office.  However, our infrastructure organization is
pretty small, so it was no issue for the Unix people to talk to the
VMware admin and (originally) have him provision them a new VM they
loaded Linux on.  Then, they used some form of VNC to attach to that.
Eventually, there was enough use that they set up a machine specifically
for VNC.  Now, some people log into their Window laptop, fire up their
VNC viewer, full screen it, and very rarely drop back to their Windows
environment.

The other teams trust me pretty well, so I now have full access to the
VMware environment, have a domain admin account in our Windows
environment, and have local admin on my laptop.  I could, if I really
wanted, install Virtual Box or VMware Workstation and spin up my own VMs
on my laptop.  But, I find it easier to spin up full VMs through my
Foreman/Satellite server when I need them.  I've done so much clean up
of the environment (decom unused VMs, rightsize overallocated VMs) in
the short time I've been there, they wouldn't even notice the resources
I'm using - even if I weren't sharing them with the rest of the
organization to make things even better.

-spp
PS: There's a possibility I may be able to talk my management into
another Linux/AIX consultant.  So, if anyone is looking for a contract
position and is OK working through Teksystems, send me your resume
(first) so I can try to grease the skids.