[colug-432] MacOS environment Re: hackintosh build tips/advice?

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:37:05 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:

> Does OS X support any kind of *remote access*? (I've used VNC for years.
> I find MS RDP to be better in that it carries audio and allows screen
> resizing. What does OS X do?)

As you've said, MacOS is basically Unix (with an X-like windowing
environment -- you can even run X if you want); there's VNC and ssh (and
the seemingly proprietary Back To My Mac, as well as Apple Remote Desktop).

> If you use Homebrew much, I'd like to chat off-list. (Or on-list if others
> are interested.) Am trying to bone-up a similar tool from an independent
> linage.

For gaining access on MacOS to various FLOSS packages (that are typically
more-robustly-supported only on Linux), I primarily use fink-- though
several years back, I tried Homebrew (when fink hadn't caught up with the
latest MacOS release). I got annoyed at something in Homebrew (I forget
what) and went back to fink.  There's also MacPorts.  For some [perhaps
dated] discussion, see
https://www.quora.com/Should-I-use-Fink-MacPorts-Homebrew-or-something-else-for-MacOS-package-management
.

Jeff