[colug-432] Linux Storage Performance Mystery

Brian bnmille at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 08:31:05 EDT 2016

On Sep 28, 2016 6:14 AM, "Joseph Beard" <joseph at josephbeard.net> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 9:54 PM, Brian <bnmille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > XFS was specifically designed for large file systems.  And the EXT file
system is not known as a performance powerhouse.  So I would convert those
filesystems back to XFS.  Then you would be able to see if that new
controller is causing issues.

> I converted the `/mnt/backup` partition back to XFS. That alone has
solved the two performance degradations I was experiencing! I would not
have expected such a _large_ difference between those two. I’m not
intimately familiar with how either of those filesystems are built, but I
am very curious what makes this such a degenerate case for ext4. Does ext4
not deal well with large numbers of hard linked files?

> Now for the tricky part: converting the `/srv` partition back to XFS. I
no longer have a spare drive large enough to hold its contents while I
reformat the partition…

> Thanks for your help!
>

> Joe
>

> --
> Joseph Beard
> joseph at josephbeard.net

>From my reading, it has more to do with the way journaling is implemented
on each filesystem.  Although XFS gives better performance, I've seen posts
where people complain about losing data in areas with poor power
reliability.  They claim they have no such issues with EXT.  It also looks
like the XFS developers are trying to fix that, but in a way that will not
be backward compatible.  You won't be able to upgrade an existing XFS
filesystem to the new version.

There seems to be a movement to abandon EXT, also.  Both Red Hat and SuSE
now default to BTRFS for root filesystems (because of its inherent snapshot
capability).  And use XFS for everything else.