[colug-432] pfSense Re: tracking WAN data usage

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sun Oct 9 18:39:12 EDT 2016

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 3:48:34 PM EDT Jeff Frontz wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have pfSense as my home router,
>
> What're all the cool kids using to host pfSense at home nowadays?  Is
> there some well-defined/no-brainer/cheap go-to box?

I can't speak for the cool kids, or even for pfSense proper, but I'm running
a fork of pfSense, OPNsense, on a little dual-port Zotac box I picked up
last week:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/467312/ZBOX-CI323NANO-U_Mini_PC_with_16_GHz_Intel_N3150_Processor
(I also got 4GB memory and a 120GB SSD for it.)

OPNsense is at https://opnsense.org/ btw. Among other things, I like that it
has weekly security updates. They talk about the reasons for the fork here:
https://docs.opnsense.org/fork/thefork.html