[colug-432] book recommendation

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Oct 18 15:41:27 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 03:08:44PM -0400, davelist at mac.com wrote:
> We’re teaching a one credit Unix course next semester (so about 15 total contact hours) and I’m looking for a book. I have a handful of Unix books but am looking for one that at least covers what is numbered 1-7 below and haven’t found one that covers all these topics.  I have old copies of “A Practical Guide to the Unix System, 3rd Ed” by Sobell and “Unix in a Nutshell” but neither of those are organized very well for what I’m looking to cover. A search for an intro Unix book turns up this: "Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition
> A Concise Guide for the New User” but that doesn’t cover all the material.

<SNIP Unix-y/Linux-y stuff>

Have you considered Sobell's "A Practical Guide to Linux Commands,
Editors, and Shell Programming"?

I think that may cover much of what you need.

> 9. git basics (ok, if not in book)

The course I teach now is focused on programming and tell all my
students to just download and read "Pro Git"

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

It is nicely written, free, and has lots of examples that are easy to
follow along with.  Chapters 1-2, and possibly 3, seem like they would
cover the depth you would need for your course.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez