[colug-432] book recommendation

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Oct 18 21:47:45 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 07:24:34PM -0400, Rob Funk wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:00:48 PM EDT Rick Hornsby wrote:
> > - I think maybe git is also a bit advanced, but I can see the most basic
> > operations being useful to know. Otherwise it's a topic I might save for a
> > programming class.
>
> Anymore, git is essential for prospective programmers to understand....
>
> Both of these are infrastructure skills, essential to programming, but
> they're not programming skills per se, so I don't think they belong in a
> programming course.

Plus, Git is becoming more and more necessary for System Administrators
as well.  I don't deploy any systems without etckeeper.  If you are
using some sort of config management (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible), then
you had better be keeping those configurations in Git.  Same thing for
Dockerfiles, etc.

Regards,

-Roberto

--