[colug-432] HDD Questions

Thomas Cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:50:29 EDT 2016

I am shopping for 750 GB laptop drive. I have Seagate drive bought in 2013.
Manufactured in 2012. SMART reports the drive as OLD, but OK. Smart lists
many realigned sector counts. How old is old? Does more GB capacity on
drive = more chance of failure? What's different between a 250GB and 750 GB
drive, the spinning disk, or the electronics.

I am considering a software type drive. Which have the best reliability? I
have heard that the performance is not as good as claimed. Same for
reliability.

I have used about 25% of the storage capacity of my present drive. Does a
lot of unused space over a long period of time lead to problems?