[colug-432] HDD Questions

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:52:19 EDT 2016

Sent from my iPad
> On Sep 8, 2016, at 18:21, <js573712 at gmail.com> <js573712 at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK you'll have a hard time finding anything but anecdotal evidence about which brands / models last longer. I know some sys admins like to space out their HDD orders because they know some batches are bound to be bad.

Backblaze has been publishing[1] their quarterly drive reliability data for awhile now. It's not apples-to-apples for Tom's case because you're comparing different form factors and a different use case, but the data is interesting nonetheless.

[1] https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q2-2016/