[colug-432] HDD Questions-question about SSD wear

Johnathon Scott js573712 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:40:31 EDT 2016

Thanks, Rick for mentioning the Backblaze report, I had totally forgotten about that.

It probably doesn't matter at all in this use case but this discussion made me wonder whether file system choice has an effect on the life of SSDs.

Conventional filesystems like UFS, ext2 rewrite file objects in place.  As was mentioned, EEPROM/flash memory has a finite numnber of write/erase cycles per block.  So unless the disk is mounted with "noatime" option, each time a file object is accessed, metadata is written to the coresponding inode.

Am I correct in my understanding that log-structured file systems like F2FS, LogFS, and ZFS (I might be wrong on ZFS considering ZIL/L2ARC) don't do this?  Updates are not stored in the exact same physical location.  Since storage is treated as a circular log, changes are writen to the head of the log.  Along with providing a nice mechanism for snapshotting wouldn't these sort of FS provide a sort of "wear leveling" because by obeying FIFO every block gets used evenly?

Johnathon