[colug-432] Looks like Linux Mint Forum got hacked

Rob Stampfli rob944 at cboh.org
Sun Sep 18 11:29:57 EDT 2016

I run my own email server so I can create many different email addresses,
which I do every time I have to give one out for some reason.  This makes
it easy to deactivate the occasional address which gets compromised.
This morning I had a spam message waiting in my inbox, offering to sell
me Samsung S6 Edges (individually or in bulk) at a presumably good price.
The mail came from "darkhack.su" -- no beating around the bush there --
and was delivered to an address that I only used to set up an account on
the linuxmint.com forum years ago.  I haven't been very active in that
forum, last posting in 2014 and last logging in in February, but a word
to the wise:  It looks like their database of users has been compromised,
so if you are a member of that forum, beware of any emails you may receive
from the Linux Mint community.

Rob