[colug-432] Looks like Linux Mint Forum got hacked

Rob Stampfli rob944 at cboh.org
Sun Sep 18 12:43:18 EDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 11:45:10AM -0400, Paul M Dubuc wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> What software do you use for your own email server.  I've been thinking
> about doing this also.  Does it support a caldav calendar server as well?

I'm old school.  I use sendmail/IMAP.  I've used sendmail forever,
and over the years have figured out how to do mostly everything I
want with it.  The IMAP server is UofW and similarly ancient.  I'm
not familiar with the calendar server.  I do run DKIM (as part of
the DMARC email authentication), and greylisting milters.  I used to
include clamav in the mix, but finally dropped it because it required
a substantial amount of memory to run and frankly wasn't finding much
(or was finding and quarantining stuff I actually wanted to see).
I've been playing around with Spam Assassin recently:  It, too, is a
bit of a memory hog, but so far its usefulness seems to outweigh its
liabilities.

For many years, I ran a lot of lists for local groups on my servers.
I really enjoyed those days, but I finally had to stop doing this
because when people wanted to opt out of a list, they'd do so by
marking list mail as "spam", which would cause my servers to become
black-listed.  (And then other list members would beat me up because
they were no longer getting list mail!)  But even without the lists
I usually tell folks that are expecting an email from me to check
their spam folder:  The big guys use every trick in the book to avoid
doing business with us small fries.

To be honest, even though I run IMAP, I normally read most of my
email from the command line using the mutt MUA.  It's still the
fastest way to handle email, at least for me.  When I don't have
the ability to log in and use mutt, I generally fall back on
squirrelmail.

Running your own mail server gives you a great deal of flexibility
and control, at least as long as you aren't running for a political
office.

FWIW,
Rob