[colug-432] Flawless Drive

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:14:29 EDT 2016

How can I check a new HDD or SSD for errors. I could use the Disks gui,
but I don't think it will detect bad areas on either type of drive. Is
there a command line I could use? Could a Windows install disk be used
to check a drive for bad areas. Is it reasonable to expect a HDD or SSD
to be 100% flawless when brand new?

I am leaning towards a SSD for my laptop as I think it will not be
affected by movement of the laptop. Would probably go with HDD for my
desktop computer as it just sits there for years on end.

Tom