[colug-432] disk recovery

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 08:56:26 EDT 2016

On 09/21/2016 02:45 PM, Rick Troth wrote:
> Hot on the heals of the "Flawless Drive" thread, my wife's laptop was
> clicking this morning <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death>.
> [sigh]
>
> I do make backups.
> But now I see the error of my ways.
> Won't bore y'all with the how and why, but my backup strategy has fallen
> into "infrequent" and "manual".
> So here's another case where the community is warned: backup early,
> backup often.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm looking for disk/data recovery advice.
> I found Disk Doctors near the Ohio State campus. Likely will pony-up the
> bounty they'll demand, but Marilyn and I are both doing "research" for
> the best options. Y'all got any ideas? services you like? services you
> don't?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- R; <><

This won't really help with the disk issue, but to automate the backup
of my wife's system, I run an "at" job on my backup server.  It checks
if her system in up (I've assigned a static address through DHCP).  If
it's up, I run rsync through an SSH tunnel to back it up.  If it's not,
I reset the script to re-run in 5 hours.  I sometimes go a day without a
backup, but not often.

And since the connection comes from my backup server, there is no
constant drive mapping, so ransomware programs shouldn't get to it.
Even better, I get an email when the backup runs.  I can check the
amount of data being backed up.  rsync is pretty effecient, so the
amount of actual data is pretty low.  If I saw a huge jump in the amount
of data backed up, that would be in indication of an infection . . .