[colug-432] Send Patch/Pull Request to Whom?

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Sat Apr 29 18:21:05 EDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 06:15:16PM -0400, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> Same question for two situations.
>
> First situation:
>
>     Project B uses a file from Project A.
>     Project B does not document that file is from Project A.
>     Developer Z clones Project B and modifies the file
>     (that ultimately came from Project A).
>
>     To whom should Developer Z submit the path/pull request?
>         Project B?
>         Project A? (that Project B has not documented as source)
>
>     What is the rationale?
>
> Second situation:
>
>     Project B uses a file from Project A.
>     Project B documents that file is from Project A.
>     Developer Z clones Project B and modifies the file
>     (that ultimately came from Project A).
>
>     To whom should Developer Z submit the path/pull request?
>         Project B?
>         Project A?
>
>     What is the rationale?

In both situations I would submit the patch/PR to both Project A and
Project B.  The only exception that jumps out at me would be if the
changes clearly apply only to the modified version in Project B and have
no relevance to Project A.

Otherwise the idea of submitting to both is that Project A could benefit
from the patch/PR, but you may not know how responsive the Project A
maintainers are.  Even if they are very responsive you may not know if
Project B has a process for regularly updating its embedded Project A
components, so supplying a patch/PR directly to Project B may be the
quickest way to get the change incorporated.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez