[colug-432] Centos7, firewalld, Arduino ide to support over the air updates on esp8266

Vince Herried vherried at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:06:31 EST 2017

First thanks for those that took the time to respond to my earlier query
about frewalld.

The problem again was that over the air updates from the Arduino IDE to an
esp8266
that is connected to my local WiFi failed.

When firewalld was stopped the updates work fine.
Turning on verbose mode in the IDE I was shown the command line:

python
/home/vince/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.3.0-rc2/tools/espota.py
-i 10.3.141.33 -p 8266 --auth= -f
/tmp/arduino_build_545522/Robsmqtt_OTA.ino.bin

So I foolishly assumed port 8266 was the entirety of the problem, NOT!

Wireshark to the rescue.

The first message does start from the IDE on my desktop to the target
esp8266 via port 8266, but then wanders off and uses other ports.

So I made a white list for my internal zone
thus
# firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --add-source=10.3.141.0/24
# firewall-cmd --zone=internal --permanent -add-port:1/65535/tcp
# firewall-cmd --reload
# firewall-cmd --zone=internal --list-all
internal (active)
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces: enp2s0
  sources: 10.3.141.0/24
  services: dhcp dhcpv6 dhcpv6-client dns ftp http https mdns samba-client
ssh
  ports: 1-65535/tcp
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  sourceports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:
#
( my lan is at 10.3.141/24 )
Happy I am, it now works.

Is there a better solution?
Is this a mistake opening up all the ports on all my LAN?

---
A Centos 7 user.