[colug-432] SystemD: long-running NON-forking units?

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:47:44 EST 2017

On 02/25/2017 01:16 PM, Mike Plemmons wrote:
> This may not be an answer you are looking for but one option could be to
> add execstartpre and execstartpost entires to the postgres unit file
> that does the tar and untar of /var.
>
> Another option is to usb attach an external drive and have /var or at
> least the postgres data on the external drive.

You don't necessarily need an external USB disk.  All you need are
multiple /var/...  mount points.  The subdirectories that contain data
you want to permaently keep shouldn't be on RAM disk.

The real secret to keep a long running RasPi system is to buy a good
quality SD card.  I'm running Raspian as my centralized syslog server,
for over 2 years now, without an issue.  If you really need to keep that
data, make sure you are making a backup on another system/disk.