[colug-432] Raspberry Pi help needed

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 26 12:57:00 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Jeff mac.com <jcannell at mac.com> wrote:

> I was looking at it yesterday. I find it hard to believe the case can't
> open. It only comes with an 8gig sd card, what if you want to upgrade to
> a larger capacity card?

Apparently it can open, it just takes a little work.  But I just ended up
returning it and bought each component individually (RPi, case, power cord,
microSD card).

> When you are playing around with a Pi3b, I don't think a case is really
> necessary... If you need one get a cheap one.

I did.  I didn't want to just have it out in the open.

> The new pixel OS is probably your best bet for an OS. Puppy Linux should
> be good as well. I'd take it back within the 30 days and just get a pi3b

I downloaded a Raspbian image and used dd to put it on my microSD card.
Pixel is just a desktop environment like Gnome or KDE and not an OS, isn't
it?  Because that's what my desktop looks like.

> If you want to go really old school you could emulate an Amiga or
> AppleII (yes I know this is a linux group)

I might try that.

> things you probably have or can get from a friend that you need for your
> pi:
>
> -powered micro-USB cord- (I'm using a re-purposed blackberry charger)
> either you or someone has got to use this
>
> -old keyboard to plug into usb port
>
> -hdmi cable- these suckers cost way to much- maybe cheaper online
>
> -old school mouse or touchpad.
>
> -any display with hdmi port or use a converter for something you already
> have.

I have all of this stuff, I just used the HDMI cable from my cable box to
plug into my TV.  Once all the necessary settings were in place, I
disconnected everything but the power and the network cable and only
connect to it through SSH and VNC.  It's currently running an SSH server
over the internet so I can get to my home network from anywhere.