[colug-432] Why does CentOS want to talk to mail.panamacityobgyn.com?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Mar 7 09:59:04 EST 2017

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Rob Funk wrote:

> getting don't mean much; the connection is probably being initiated through
> a different name. The thing that puzzles me is the http part; I'd expect
> "clock-app" to connect to some other port than http.
>
> Of course, the real answer would be to find the clock-app source code and
> look for where it makes a port 80 network connection. I'll leave that as an
> exercise for someone who has easier access to CentOS/RHEL sources.

I looked for the sources yesterday, and could not lay hands on
them ... one assumes the item in question is a sub-element of
some over-arching package

_Some_ startup code  is 'reading' the current date out of the
HTTP headers (cache expiration has such); and also NON-port
443 headers; of a 'durably up' remote server, to 'bootstrap'
date and time information -- some of the smaller ARM units do
not have a durably backed RTC, and need to know current date
and time, to then be able to determine SSL certificate
expirations and such

Just a guess here

-- Russ herrold