[colug-432] Sund Problem

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 11 12:55:59 EST 2017

Up to date Jessie.

Sound worked until I turned power off to the external speakers.  The
sound has not been working since I turned the speakers back on.

If I run 'speaker-test' I get noise:

comp at AbNormal:~$ speaker-test

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 192 to 2097152
Period size range from 64 to 699051
Using max buffer size 2097152
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 524288
was set buffer_size = 2097152
  0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.934633
  0 - Front Lef

, but if I run 'speaker-test -c 2 -t
wav' I get 'front left' and 'front right' from both speakers:

comp at AbNormal:~$ speaker-test -c 2 -t wav

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
Period size range from 32 to 349526
Using max buffer size 1048576
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 262144
was set buffer_size = 1048576
  0 - Front Left
  1 - Front Right

I am using the on-board sound:

01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller
(rev a1)
     Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 809f
     Memory at fe080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
     Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
     Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
     Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I have proven, to my satisfaction, thanks to a suggestion from a
correspondent, that this is not a hardware problem.  I loaded the
Xubuntu 17.04 Live Desktop on the computer and the sound is live.

I would appreciate some help in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.
--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.		Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net		Stochastic and multivariate