[colug-432] Linux on Mac

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 27 19:07:51 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:09:38PM -0500, tom wrote:

> Was given circa 2013 MacBook 13" Considering installing Linux on it. Any
> thoughts?

I've converted two MacBooks to run Linux (both running gentoo); they work
just fine, without even much tweaking, at least once you crack the boot
setup -- one boots from bare-metal, the other uses a bootloader -- Apples
are popular so their hardware tends to be supported.

> I use Audio Recorder on Linux Mint to do simple recordings of practice
> sessions. We just record new material and send people home with that so
> they can learn and practice material at home. Audacity is way too
> complex for that. The Mac has Garage Band which is too complex as well
> for what I am doing. Is there a simple sound recorder for Mac?

If it comes to it, you can install brew on a Mac and then compile up any
number of programs -- you can even run ecasound, which is a command-line
audio recorder/processor that is capable of great depth but also can be
used for very simple recording.

Once you replace MacOS with some flavour of Linux, you have much more by
way of choices and freedom with how to interact with your hardware.  Give
me that any day, rather than the Walled Garden that Apple tries to trap
you in.  (You can even do things like boot to the command-line *without*
MacOS, for No Good Reason.)  And you can control your software, too,
rather than having some Cupertino hack decide what runs on your machine.

YMMV.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3311 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42