[colug-432] import centos virtualbox into e2

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun May 7 18:24:44 EDT 2017

On May 5, 2017 at 14:17:46, Rick Hornsby (richardjhornsby at gmail.com) wrote:

Has anyone tried to import a CentOS virtualbox VM into aws/ec2?

I think I finally figured it out. I think there were a couple of issues
that maybe I resolved along the way, but the biggest one that was keeping
cloud-init from running correctly in the end is that I copied the contents
of cloud.cfg from the elastic guide[1], but didn't realize I copied the
closing 'EOF' into the file as well. That doesn't belong.

I wish that the elastic guide didn't have such a gaping hole in the
instructions. Actually, I wish somewhere something explained that there are
no cloud-init commands that need to be run manually on the local side to
set anything up. cloud-init just needs to be installed via yum, apt etc and
have the configuration file set. The cloud provider system (ie ec2) handles
the rest.

[1] https://www.elastic.co/blog/create-an-ami-from-your-own-vm-image