[colug-432] xmllint shell & arrow keys for accessing command history?

Peter Kukla fruviad at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 13:34:31 EDT 2017

Hello,
Does anyone out there use the "shell" option in xmllint?

I have two different systems.  One is Ubuntu 14.04, the other is CentOS 7.3.
Both systems are running xmllint 20901, and the compile time options are the same for both.  Both systems had xmllint installed using their respective "pull down the compiled binary" option rather than a local compile from source.

On the Ubuntu system, if I run "xmllint --shell somefile.xml", I can use the up-arrow key to see the command history.  I'd like to have the same functionality on CentOS.

However, the CentOS-based xmllint doesn't recognize the arrow keys.  The keys dump their ASCII equivalent (e.g. "^[[A" for the up arrow) to the screen rather than displaying the command history.  This occurs in a remote login (ssh via Putty) and in a terminal window opened on the console.

The "up arrow for history" functionality DOES work on the CentOS box in the bash shell, and in Python.  It's only in xmllint that it's failing.

The $TERM is set to "xterm" on the Ubuntu system.  On Ubuntu, the $TERM is set to "xterm", but setting the $TERM to "xterm" on CentOS has no effect upon xmllint.  I've also tried "vt100" and "vt220"...no change.  The default $TERM for this is xterm-256color.
Any thoughts on what I need to do to get this functionality on CentOS?
Thanks in advance,

Peter Kukla