[colug-432] Recommission Older Computer

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 28 10:34:47 EDT 2017

First off, let me say that I know this is the Linux users group, but I
can't think of a better pool of experts to ask for help.

I have an older 64bit computer that has been running Window XP
Professional since May 2004. For various and sundry reasons I have
decided to start using it again.

I hooked it up to my LAN on a two way electronic switch, and much to my
surprise and delight, it started!

Up to a point, that is.  I got the first part of the login, that is the
computer spooling up and checking the RAM (which passed the test) and I
got the XP selection window where I selected the normal startup, and
then a white strip across the bottom of the monitor screen and . . .
nothing.

Obviously, even from my limited hardware experience, I suspect there is
a problem with the OS.  I still have the installation disk, but I was
thinking of upgrading the OS to Windows 7 (I'm writing on my production
tower which is running Debian v-8.8).

I'd appreciate some comments as to what I might try to get the older
computer running again.

Thank in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.		Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net		Stochastic and multivariate