[colug-432] How to program an ATMega168V with the Arduino IDE.

Vince Herried Vince at planetvince.com
Sun Apr 22 11:48:07 EDT 2018

I have 20+ ATMega168V 10AU-0628 that have been collecting dust for a year.
This chip is a 32 pin QFN32 or QFP32 SMT device.

I bought 10 carrier boards and soldered the chips on.
The the problems.  After a lot of digging I finally found out how to
burn the boot loader and how to program them.

There doesn't seem to be many places on the web that explain the ATmega168
information.
Some say it is programmed as a AdaFruit Lilly pad, and you should buy a
genuine one
and it will have the boot loader already installed.

The following works for me.

1. Wire pins on the Arduino UNO to the ATmega68V thus:

 * UNO    SIG   168V
 * GND          3 or 5
 * VCC          4 or 6
 * 10  SS/RESET 29
 * 11     MOSI  15
 * 12     MISO  16
 * 13     SCK   17

2. Load the Examples -> ArduinoISP -> ArduinoISP into an Arduino UNO or
compatable.

3. set the board type Arduino UNO or what ever you are using that is
compatable.

4. Change the board type to Lillypad Arduino, and the processor to ATmegga
168.

5. Click Tools -> Burn Bootloader
I have set the IDE to verbose (see File -> Preferences ) so I can see all
the information.
It will write a lot of data in verbose mode, when successful the last line
will be:
        avrdude done.  Thank you.

Now to write a sketch into the processor.

1. With the Arduino still loaded with the sketch in 2 above, load your
sketch into the
IDE and check that the board is Lillypad Arduino, and the processor is
ATmegga 168.

2. Press CTL+SHIFT+U

Poof.

I put a web page on this here