[colug-432] Fwd: Fstab Questions

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:26:50 EST 2019

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 12:23, Chris Punches <punches.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perms options are file system specific you'll need to research the options for your file system type

Not really? Unless you’re diving into selinux or ACLs. Maybe there’s a filesystem out there that doesn’t support the user/group ownership and octal user/group/other permissions of typical *nix, but that would mean a huge mess of stuff would be different, not just those two things. In any case, I don’t think that would apply here.

>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019, 1:08 PM Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>> I would beg the group's indulgence again, as I want to be sure I get this correctly.

No worries. We all had to start our Linux adventures somewhere.

>> I think this is what I want as the fstab:

Nothing jumps out at me as egregiously wrong. Make a backup of your known good fstab file so you can start over, and have a LiveCD / bootable USB drive or something like that handy just in case you typo something. It happens to all of us. If your flavor allows you to create a rescue disk, that’d be easiest. If not, most any LiveCD/USB (Linux, of course) type system will get you at least shell prompt and access to the disks - thus /etc/fstab.

Technically I suppose it’s possible to FUBAR a system messing with fstab, but it’s unlikely you’ll do any damage that can’t be recovered by booting from alternate media, fixing up fstab, and trying again.

>> in addition I need to have:
>>
>> /sbd1
>> /Apps
>> /dev/sdb1
>> /devApps

So as far as permissions, don’t worry about the device (/dev/sd*) files themselves. Focus on the mount points - ie /Apps. It’s been a while since I’ve done this, but IIRC, you should just need to set ‘comp’ as the owner of /Apps, and make sure /Apps has at least 700 permissions set.

Assuming you haven’t put any files on the new mounted file system(s) yet, this should do the trick:

$ sudo chown comp /Apps
$ sudo chmod 755 /Apps # or 700 if you want to restrict access to anyone not “comp”

Check out the manpage for chmod.