[colug-432] The Future of COLUG?

Chris Punches punches.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 02:49:41 EST 2019

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the introduction, Scott.

I've been circling around the lug for a few years watching and reiterate
most of the desires expressed here by the others as I've been kind of
looking at where our strong areas are and also our areas of potential
growth/revival.

I've got a vision for it I'd like to bring about.  We should probably all
meet if we need a consensus on this to get started.

Some highlights are below, and some of these are further out in the
timeline if we can get on the right path for it:

   - New identity for the LUG
      - Status quo isn't working.  This is a rescue-and-revive effort.
      - Incorporation.
      - Fortifies many facets of the org, including identity formation, org
      structure, budget, etc; Cincinnati and Cleveland let their entity
      registration die out w/ the Ohio Secretary of State, so, once we
have this,
      we'll automatically have some cool options available to us that the other
      lugs in this state don't.
      - Org Structure
      - Formal owners and officers, deciding panels et al; no overkill on
      structure but "the basics".  This lug will absolutely peter out
without it.
      - A donation-driven budget.
      - Events, 3rd party certifications for members, permanent space,
      hosting, branding, etc
   - Getting COLUG to be a hub of sorts for R&D for the Linux community
   across the state and eventually serve as kind of a focal point for Linux in
   Ohio.  Actual system development taking place.  Imagine.
   - Partnering with local entities for space, budget, hosting.
   - Rebranding
   - Providing useful community resources that establish the LUG as a place
   people go to find topic authorities in the Linux SE crowd.
   - Getting the headcount up to about 25 active people.

I also really like some of the suggestions, here too, like event
aggregation with some of these related-but-different groups in the area.

Regarding the IRC channel, FreeNode/##colug used to have a couple people
but the channel ownership got muddy over the years and it died out.  I
registered FreeNode/#ohlug-central if you'd like to use that.

I'd like to call a meeting for us to discuss in more detail if everyone's
alright with that?

-C